Built in 1902, the Kirklee Hotel is now a converted Edwardian townhouse set in a residential neighborhood on the beautiful west end of Glasgow. It also happens to be where we lived for 2 ½ weeks this past June.
Before this trip, I had never stayed at a B&B, but I’m glad we had this chance. Instead of going for a standard hotel, we opted for a more quaint and traditional Scottish experience. The Kirklee Hotel gave us just want we needed.
|Family||£90.00 – £110.00||£100.00 – £130.00|
Here is what we loved about The Kirklee Hotel:
1. The décor and atmosphere: No, it is not modern, chic or contemporary. Rather, it is warm, original and fantastically Scottish! The minute we walked in we were greeted with plaid carpeting and antiques! Yes, we squealed. How exciting! We were even handed real metal keys to give us access to our rooms and the hotel’s front door.
2. Breakfast: Breakfast is included in the room rate, but unlike most B&B’s where breakfast is served in the dining room, The Kirklee Hotel serves breakfast to your room. Now, dining with other house guests has its perks, but so does having breakfast in the privacy of your room. First of all, we have a large loud group featuring 2 parents, 2 grandparents and 2 crazy kids. So, I doubt other guests would want to dine with us every morning. Secondly, my kids loved eating breakfast in their jammies. Can we just talk about the presentation? I mean how cute and classy.
Breakfast comes with a variety of options. For instance, you may choose egg/bacon/sausages/choice of toast or choice of cereal/croissants/fruit or loch/bagel. You also receive coffee, tea and O.J. Breakfast is served between 7:00am-9:00am. We loved the flexibility and often made changes to our breakfast order the night before depending on our mood or next day’s activities.
3. The staff: The owners, Rosemary and Douglas were so sweet and super helpful. They helped us call a cab the first day and were very patient with our breakfast changes. I mean, we were there for 2 ½ weeks, I am sure we were annoying. Also, the housekeeping staff we just lovely. We got to know them after so long and would chat when they would bring us breakfast in the morning. When it was time to leave for California it was sad. It was like we were leaving our new buddies.
4. Big enough room: The issue we were having when trying to find an accommodation in Glasgow was finding one room to fit our group. We usually travel together and one of the ways we cut costs is sharing a room. The problem was that European standard rooms are a lot smaller than U.S standard rooms. Kirklee Hotel had a family room that, although is smaller than a standard in the U.S, worked for us. Douglas was concerned though when we all showed up. I reassured that is was fine and that we all stay in one RV together once a month. We are all good in the hood. We don’t mind being cozy.
5. The location: Although, it was a bit too far for Papa to walk to town, The Kirklee Hotel is walking distance from the happening Byres Rd and Botanical Garden. If you don’t want to walk or it is raining (it will probably be raining), it super easy and cheap to call a cab. I loved that is was in a residential neighborhood, giving us the feeling of living in Glasgow. The gardens on the property were gorgeous and the kids loved exploring and looking for fairies. There was also a corner store that Grams and I would walk to and pick up some vino for the evening. We just loved walking through the neighborhood. It was just lovely.
Would I recommend The Kirklee Hotel to my friends and family? Absolutely. We had such a wonderful time and it was a great experience. Book your stay and say hi to Douglas and Rosemary for me!!
Author: Hot Mama
I’m a busy working mama, who understands the importance of taking a time out to enjoy life. Always ready for an adventure, this mama will not hesitate to pack the family up and go. Family vacations are a great way to bond with your kids and create wonderful memories that they will carry with them throughout their life. A fabulous getaway doesn’t have to break the bank! I’ll give you the tips and tricks you need to make every trip memorable, reasonable and HOT!